Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reading List

For my own sanity. It's going to help in two ways--guard against the temptation to begin reading something else while in the middle of the excellent A Game Of Thrones, and secondly, help me not to forget. Lol.

Just finished The Langoliers, a King novella that left me hungry for more. Namely, The Mist (seen the movie, always wanted to read the story). And, just to confuse things, I'll be watching the miniseries of The Langoliers pretty soon--entire thing's up on YouTube.

BUT.

This is what happened the last three or four times I tried to get into A Game Of Thrones, so I'm going to guard against it this time. I. Will. NOT. Quit.

So here goes--my reading list.

1. Finish A Game Of Thrones. This is a sharp, interesting, cleverly-written tale by a man who deserves his title at the forefront of modern fantasy. No small surprise it's made me renew my commitment to finishing my own fantasy novel (unnamed as of yet, sorry to disappoint). I vowed to finish the book this time, and it will be so. Er. A Game Of Thrones, that is, not my novel. Lol. But the latter would be nice, too.

2. The Mist. I'll treat this novella as a sort of breather before I launch into another book. Saw, and LOVED the film. It is perhaps the best adaptation of a Stephen King work (with all due respect to The Green Mile). I know the ending of the story differs, and I'm eager to see just how.
From a purely academic standpoint, I always enjoy trying to see just how written works change when they are adapted for the screen. This time it'll be the other way round, but it won't be any less interesting.

3. Andromeda Strain. In recognizing my addiction for post-apocalyptic tales, I can't wait to begin this one. Ideally, I'd want to begin it in three days, but that would mean a lot of reading and as of now, is highly doubtful. It's not a long read, thankfully--just 327 pages, so that should mean I'll be back to--

4. A Clash Of Kings, volume 2 of George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Fire And Ice series (sequel to A Game Of Thrones), in no time.

Phew. That felt good. @Thesleepingwolf from Twitter's right. It helps to have a reading list. :-)

No comments: